No need to have a yard to explore gardening with your child! To plant and grow a small garden, all you need is a seed, potting soil, a spoon and an egg box lid. A simple activity that will make him love gardening!
We need :
- an egg box lid;
- potting soil;
- a bowl;
- a spoon;
- seeds of chives (or other grass);
- of water.
How to do?
- Put potting soil in a bowl and use a spoon to fill the egg carton lid with potting soil.
- Spread seeds on the potting soil and gently press each seed with your finger.
- Moderately water the soil to moisten it (to be done daily to help the growth of chives).
- Once the chives have grown, savor it in a salad or omelet!
This activity puts into practice the Comfort, Play, Teach and Participate parenting approach to your child’s development as follows:
Comfort: Through gardening, your child will learn to care for a living being. Daily watering of his seed will teach him a sense of responsibility and give him a sense of accomplishment.
Play: By observing the seeds, the soil, and the water, your child will discover his environment with the help of his senses. He can learn about the world of plants by examining, touching and feeling his plant of chives. Later, he will even be able to taste it!
Teach: By planting seeds, your child will discover the different stages of plant growth. He will be able to observe the gradual transformation of the seeds into a plant, to learn that the plants need water and light to grow and even count the days that precede the appearance of the first shoots.